In order for you to find your dream house, you’re first going to need to look through a lot of photos of houses for sale. These photos tend to show the best features of a house that’s for sale, which of course makes sense. In order for you to get the inside scoop on a house you’re interested in buying, you’re going to need to see it first-hand. In order for you to know if it’s worth buying, you’re going to need to do an in-person home inspection.
An independent home inspector can be crucial before buying a property even if it’s a new house, as they’re the experts. So this is an investment that could save you a lot of heartburn later. In addition to that, you have to do your own inspection and should have your own house viewing checklist as well, based on what you know, and after checking with other more experienced home owners. Inspecting your new potential home can be quite an exciting venture. You’ve looked at many photos of houses for sale, and have chosen some that just may meet your house buying criteria. Now it’s time for you to take a much closer look at your potential new home, making sure to include the items listed below in your checklist.
House Viewing Checklist
- Structure – Look at the overall structure, including windows and doors, to see if there’s any soft wood or cracking paint
- Plumbing look for water leaks and fungal growth in the kitchen and bathroom. A musty smell could indicate mold growth
- Do the lights dim when the microwave is turned on? If yes, the electrical system may need to be updated
- Large Appliances. Check the water heater, furnace, and air conditioning units for leaks and rust
- Paint Jobs. Check to be sure a new paint job isn’t hiding anything sellers don’t want to be seen
- Has the roof been properly maintained? Are there any signs of leaks?
- Heating/Cooling. Is the temperature the same in every room? Listen to the furnace for rattling, strange sounds
- Check underneath the carpet to see what kind of floors are there. Hardwood is what you’re hoping for
You should also consider the general ambiance of the house, i.e. natural lighting, layout, overall flow, ceiling height, architectural details.
It’s a good idea to check on the neighborhood you might be living in, as this can be a deal breaker for some. If you have kids, you’re going to want to check out the school districts. If you enjoy being outside, check to see if there are any parks, walking or biking paths nearby. If you like doing fun or educational things, check the local recreation center for a list of activities they offer. The library is also a great resource for things to do in your local neighborhood. Also, pay attention to how close your neighbors are, as you want to be sure you’re comfortable with how much privacy your potential new house is going to offer you.
Why choose XTP Realty?
It’s simple. We go above and beyond what’s expected from a real estate agent. We’re highly dedicated to providing you with the absolute best house buying experience possible. We’re able to do this because we know all of the right questions to ask when it comes to figuring out exactly what it is that you’re looking for when wanting to buy a new home.
If you’re looking for real estate in the Detroit Lakes area in MN, Contact us today!